More Thoughts on Harvest Moon: My Little Shop
So after playing this game for a while I’ve learned that it’s actually a little more in depth than I thought, but the real time day by day game play still cripples the game in my opinion. I still only find myself with about 10 minutes of gameplay per day. But non the less, I’ve learned some positives about the game:
- The weather changes. Yeah, it rains, hooray! It’s a nice break though and makes the game seem less static. Not much really changes when it rains, except that your animals go automatically inside the barn (your grandpa apparently puts them in the barn in the dark of night) where you must feed/pet/observe them. And you don’t have to water your crops.
- You can go to the carpenter to get store upgrades and buy new fields (it appears at the moment you can only buy two new fields though, when it looks like there’s room for three). So you can’t clear fields yourself but you CAN get new ones, which is nice.
- There are some interesting animal options. No, you can’t have a barn full of cows, but you can have one each of the Cow (gives regular milk), Jersey Cow (gives creamy milk) and the Coffee Cow (gives…coffee flavored milk, go figure). I’ve also seen screen shots of a Strawberry Cow, though I don’t know if this is an in-game option or if it comes with one of the add-on packages. Same for Chickens – currently in my game there is a Chicken, Quail and Silkie Chicken.
- There ARE festivals – though not nearly as interactive as in other games, I have so far come across one festival. There wasn’t much to do but talk to some villagers and watch about two minutes worth of cut scenes. I also don’t know when the festivals fall or how they decide it’s time to have a festival, seeing as the game takes place in real time. I’m assuming that after so many days of gameplay a festival will automatically happen.
- There does appear to be a rhyme and reason to the game, instead of just pointlessly playing mini games each day. Problem is I don’t know what it takes to unlock anything – one of the windmills is now turning but I honestly don’t know what I did to trigger it. I guess just keeping the store going is enough. However, I really wish there was more story to the game instead of all the little games – or at least the infamous Harvest Moon “Get your farm up and running in 3 years or lose” story, which at least gives the gameplay a purpose.